Kualoa Sugar Mill
Photographs and history of the ruins of the old Kualoa Sugar Mill on the windward coast of the island of Oahu in Hawaii. The Kualoa Sugar Mill was the first sugar mill built on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. It was built between 1863 and 1865 by Charles Hastings Judd and Samuel G. Wilder. using most modern steam-powered machinery, which was imported from Scotland. Samuel Wilder's son died in 1866, three days after he fell in a vat of boiling sugar syrup. His mother moved away after that tragedy, because she could no longer bear to live at the mill. In 1870, Samuel Wilder deeded his share of the mill to Charles Judd. The Kualoa Sugar Mill was closed in 1871 because it turned out there was not enough rain in the Kualoa Ranch area to grow sugar. Today the 35 foot coral brick smoke stack and the remains of the mill building can be seen along Kamehameha Highway, about half a mile south of the town of Kaaawa, on the windward coast of Oahu.